June 5, 2009

Movie Review Format Explained

Ok. So it seems like every time I talk to someone about a movie I just watched, I have to give the Metacritic score. And if someone doesn't know what Metacritic is, well damn it, I'll explain it. It is a website that compiles reviews of a given film, CD, video game, or book. It's basically the consensus overall score from almost every major critic from every major publication. NY Times, Chicago Tribune, Roger Ebert...all the heavy hitters. I agree with the scores in general most of the time, within a 1/2 star normally (I mainly use it for movies). It's a score between 1 and 100. Anything 70 and up is quite good. 80 and up, exceptional. And when you get the rare 90 it's generally considered a classic. I like it because it's not just one random opinion. You can read the review of any specific person from the main page if you'd like. Most major movies compile between 30-40 reviews. So anyway. After I review a movie...I'll give my score, and I'll compare it to Metacritic. I like comparing my feelings against the masses. So that's that.

No comments: