July 31, 2009

Let the Right One In

Ok, so I don't watch many foreign flicks, similar to old movies. I just don't get their vibe for whatever reason. Don't know what it is, if it's the pacing or the cinematography. But for whatever reason, I've been searching for good thriller/supernatural/horror movies of late. It's a genre that has many bad movies, so I haven't given it much thought.

But I do know the law of averages and I know some good one's creep through. I've been scanning my review websites, MetaCritic and IMDB, and I've found some interesting ones to watch recently. If you've been paying attention, I've had very favorable reviews for Drag Me to Hell and The Others.

Well I got ambitious one day and I found a movie on Netflix "Watch Instantly." Long story short, it meant I didn't have to put any effort into watching it. Just point an click. It's a vampire movie, a subgenre that I haven't seen many movies in. I saw it got great reviews, 82/100 I think. But I don't put much into that on MetaCritic, because many foreign films get incredibly high reviews because they are based on many less reviews, and the ones that leak through are normally only the positive one's.

It's a movie based on a 12 year-old girl vampire. Well she's not 12, she's been frozen that way for quite awhile. I think the movie is based in Norway, so the scenery is quite drab. But I must admit the movie deserved every great review it received. The subtitles weren't painful at all, because the dialgoue is very simple with most of it coming from kids.

You know, the "Hey what's up? Give me your lunch money," type stuff. So there weren't any punch lines that you don't catch the nuances from because you don't understand the language.

The story is very strong, and the thing is filled with so many haunting but tasteflly done (well, as tasteful as a haunting image can be) images. It's creepy in an extremely gratifying way. A cute relationship develops inbetween the gore with the vampire girl and a human boy.

But like I said before, there are four or five separate scenes (all of them visuals) that will stick in my mind, which I've been able to tell some friends about. And if you've learned anything from my reviews, I really watch movies for great scenes more than anything. An average script, or a slightly slow story, can redeem itself completely with some bad ass visuals or a great liner.

I can pick out many parts of movies that weren't great, but had great moments. But the special one's are always filled with a handful which this movie had. The story is slow in developing, which I did think the pace could be picked up a bit, so that's the only very slight negative. This movie rocked and I'm not giving anything away, but it finishes with one of the most memorable scenes I've ever watched.

Ken's Score: 95
MetaCritic: 82

2 comments:

Wavefighter said...

Great review but this movie is Swedish, not Norwegian.

Unknown said...

If you haven't already seen it, you should watch Jacob's Ladder. That's one of my favorite horror movies, though it's atypical of the genre.

Some foreign films you might enjoy: L'Auberge Espagnole, The Motorcycle Diaries, Night On Earth, and Pan's Labyrinth.