August 23, 2009

District 9

Sorry for becoming side tracked from writing reviews through this blog. I've actually become relatively addicted to posting quick reviews on Netflix. It's neat because it shows how many people have rated your movies and you have on overall reviewer rank. Currently I'm rated 1,100,042. So all I can go is up (I hope anyway).

But I saw District 9 a little over a week ago, and I had the highest of expectations for it, considering the initial and even final reviews were stellar. It seemed like it could be an extremely thought provoking sci-fi classic.

When you go in with such high expectations, a lot of the times they are tough to be met. And I went in knowing this, so I tried to slow my heart rate, take a couple deep breaths, and lower the adrenaline a bit, and just "experience" the movie.

The first 1:15 minutes sucked me in, and exceeded my expectations, even my unrealistic ones. The documentary style, the quarantined alien slum, watching the aliens treated subhuman (I guess that shouldn't be a stretch), and the tension amongst the unit sent in to relocate the alien race. It was gripping, and I expected this movie to rank amongst the greats with me.

Not that the movie really fell apart, but it went in a direction that I hoped it wouldn't. It fell back on action. Not a bad thing. But from the previews and the way it was set-up. I didn't expect the standard blowing up of human after human, cars rolling, bad guy, good guy ending. The alien race wasn't really explored, which I thought it could have been, had a little more thought gone into it.

It was a really good movie. "Fun" is what I'd like to call it. I just thought I'd have my mind challenged a bit more while having a little action mixed in. It turned out that I didn't have to think much about it at all, and I ended up with an action movie with an interesting premise.

Extremely well done, but not what I was looking for.

Ken's Score: 75
Metacritic: 81

No comments: