August 6, 2009

Valkyrie

Ok, so the ending is predictable, if you have any concept on history whatsoever. So renting Valkyrie was an afterthought. I Netflixed it mainly because it was in Blu-Ray. I saw average reviews and watching a failed assassination of Hitler didn't seem intriguing.

I was extremely surprised by how well the movie was done. There was nothing amazing about it, but it had great amounts of tension and an unrelenting pace to it which I found quite enjoyable. You know the attempt will not succeed, but the way the attempts are shot, and not really knowing what will happen to Colonel Stauffenburg (Tom Cruise) still kept me guessing.

Cruise played his role well, but the character was a bit too limited to really pull me in. Cruise is appalled by Hitler and his antics and wants to do something about it.

He is the main handler of the briefcase bomb which was supposed to end Hitler's regime. Cruise was good, but it was like he was constantly moving forward, always had the objective in mind, never wavering. It just came across like he was a robot. But that might have been how the actual character was, but at points I was thinking, "are you really that dense." And I saw a picture of him and his wife on the poster I downloaded which didn't make tons of sense because their relationship was developed so minimally.

I like to be surprised, but the ending is already known. So it loses it's steam from the get go. But the ride was enjoyable enough, that it's definitely worth a watch.

My Score: 70
Metacritic: 56

No comments: